PK-5 Review Guide
Hi Oklahoma City Teachers,
Here's a page we put together for your review of Activate's K-5 PRIME program. If you have questions or need clarification on anything, please reach out to me! Thanks again for reviewing PRIME!
Introduction To PRIME
PRIME engages children in learning science by doing science, with a focus on developing discourse and critical thinking skills alongside disciplinary content knowledge and science and engineering practices to help students make sense of engaging hands-on explorations. PRIME was developed to address known challenges to teaching science in elementary classrooms, including:
- Limited science background and content knowledge of many teachers
- Minimal time for and focus on science in elementary schools
- Usability challenges inherent in a hands-on science environment
Overview of Prime:
How to Navigate PRIME's Digital Edition:
New Updates Coming 2021
New User Interface
In 2021 we're launching our brand new user interface for our Activate Learning Digital Platform to give PRIME teachers an even better teaching experience with our program. PRIME is easier to use than ever with teachers utilizing our new workflow of:
By the summer of 2021, PRIME will feature activity videos for every materials based lab investigation in the program.
By the summer of 2021, PRIME will feature slides for easy delivery of every lesson, saving teachers time on lesson planning.
Remote Learning Lesson Plans (RLPs)
The Remote Learning Lesson Plans (RLLPs) are adapted from the Teacher Editions to support continuous learning everywhere. The RLLPs condense what is taught in each activity with specific teaching recommendations, and the plans identify the digital resources, print resources, and materials needed to teach and learn outside of the classroom.
PRIME Topics - are listed by grade level. Each grade covers 3-5 topics per grade, varying in length.
Clusters - within each topic, clusters are groups of 2-6 lessons that focus on the same one or two big ideas that students build towards.
Big Ideas - aligned to the NGSS DCI’s and help teachers and students focus on understanding the most important concepts, rather than on memorizing smaller bits of information, helping make easy connections to the bigger picture.
We've tabbed your teacher editions at the K-5 level, below is a table that shows where the information is in the print & digital edition.
Tab 1: Lesson Level Explained
- Quick Look - contains a lesson overview, big idea (that the cluster builds towards), key notes, lesson goals, assessment options.
- Preparation - contains materials and links to get ready before the start of the session.
- Teaching The Lesson (Session) - contains the information on how to deliver lessons, broken down by the Engage, Explore, Reflect & Discuss, and Extensions.
- After the Lesson - contains family links, extensions to cross curricular activities in Math, ELA, and Social Studies. Plus information on science centers that expand on lesson ideas at students own pace.
Teaching The Lesson (Session):
After The Lesson:
PRIME Teaching The Lesson Sequence
Students participate in a common experience/phenomena that is designed to instill wonder in them and cause them to ask questions.